Sunday, December 4, 2016

DIY Goo Gone

One of my pet peeves is that manufacturers, retailers, etc., place price stickers in the worst possible place for the consumers.  Picture frames end up with it splattered right in the middle of the glass.  The stickers on books never seem to come off easily and end up leaving sticky bits in the front corner of the cover.  Glasses, dishes, coffee mugs, vases, and more. Always in the worst spot.  You try to carefully peel it off and get about 1/3 of the way through when it catches and tears and leaves a trail of fuzzy white paper still stuck to your item.

When I was a younger bride in the late 90's I was introduced to Goo Gone. I thought it was the next best thing since sliced bread! Now, later in my years and having a little girl, I am trying to take steps to use non-toxic products.  And, Goo Gone, has some nasty stuff in it. It irritates my eyes and nose, and it also leaves an oily residue behind.

I decided to check Pinterest for a recipe and, Voilà!  I found several recipes.

Here is what you will need:
1 Part Baking Soda
1 Part Coconut Oil (melted down or you can use fractionated)
Several Drops of Essential Oils (I used Wild Orange)


Mix together the baking soda and coconut oil to create a paste.  Add your essential oils and mix.

That's it.

No factory, no fillers, no toxins, irritants, etc.

I packed it in a small jar with an airtight lid.  The oil tends to collect at the top so I grab a cotton swab to mix it up a bit and then use that same swab to apply the homemade paste to leftover adhesive.  After a minute or so, I moisten a paper-towel and wipe away the paste. For stubborn sticky stuff, you may need to use a little elbow grease, err....index finger grease, to wipe it away.




{Purse}onally Yours,
Tina


1 comment:

  1. Try Lemon essential oil sometime. I was using the Young Living Thieves cleaner on sticky stuff on a window and it was working better than other stuff had, but it still wasn't coming off completely. I added a drop or two onto the paper towel I was using and it changed everything. I think Lemon is supposed to be more powerful on goo than other oils.

    ReplyDelete