Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Tonight my daughter and I made chocolate chip cookies. It is a bit of a break from the Christmas-themed sweets all over our home this time of year, but sometimes, a girl just needs a chocolate chip cookie!

My favorite part of the entire process is the teaching opportunity it offers in disguise. It is fun learning!  We talked about the difference between packing brown sugar and pouring white sugar. The importance of adding ingredients in order of your recipe. The importance of following your recipe until you have a few dishes under your belt...then experiment away! Fractions and math and measurements, oh my! We get to spend a good deal of time together. We learn from one another. It is funny how different we are. I am a clean up as you go kinda gal and she is a messy baker leaving spoons and cups and ingredients in her wake.

We have played with many different recipes and finally settled on this one...sadly, I don't recall where we found it so that I can give proper credit to the creator!




My girl is becoming quite the baker.




She measures out flour with such style.




 



So unique in her technique, that she uses the opposite end of the knife to accomplish her signature style. 

 





 And breaks free, like a boss. 


A Girl Boss. 



 


She does it again with vanilla. Such panache, this one!








Before my eyes begin to well up with tears due to how mature she seems... she returns to her normal, 10-year-old self by giving bunny ears to the ingredients. Phew, no need to make excuses about allergies or having something in my eye.
 

Here is what you will need to gather:

3/4 cup unsalted butter (melted then allowed to cool to room temperature)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar 
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 whole large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp regular salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit




Look at that sweetness. Not the sugar, the chef!


 




 Pure cookie gold.




 
Balls or Blobs?




We go back and forth in our house. Personally, I am a blob girl. It creates such a fabulous texture. My girl and my hubby would rather create perfect spheres by rolling them between their palms.  If I can get in there, I strategically place a few blobs. Because I am stubborn that way. And, it is an easy way to mark some for my consumption only!

Once you have placed your balls or blobs on the parchment paper lined baking sheet, pop these trays into your refrigerator for about 15 minutes.  

Then, put them in the preheated oven for 13 to 15 minutes. 

Place them on a cooling rack for at least 10 minutes. 

Enjoy. 

But stay away from the ones with the amazing texture, those are mine!


{Purse}onally Yours,


 

2 comments:

  1. I *love* chocolate chip cookies. Unfortunately, I also *love* chocolate chip cookie dough. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, how sweet! I always loved making cookies with my girls when they were younger. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete