Sunday, January 8, 2017

Vintage vs. Modern Strawberry Shortcake



Yesterday I introduced my daughter to Strawberry Shortcake, the original sweet gal. The 1980s version.

She wasn't exactly impressed.

(Before you leave any negative comments about her sneer, said sneer was coaxed, as her original facial expression simply could not be reenacted.) 
 



When she started watching Strawberry Shortcake as a younger child, I wasn't too impressed myself.


She changed, a lot. Like a whole lot. She got taller, and skinnier. And her dress was very short. Regardless of the crazy leggings, the skirt is micro mini!







The original was cute, and plump, and chubby. And she smelled good too.


Her friends were cute and plump, and chubby. And they smelled good too. And their hair wasn't super-model-esque.

They were kids, normal kids, well, except for the fact that they lived in a place with no parents.

They weren't freeze-frame posing all the time either.  Now, they live in fruit-shaped houses and have their own businesses.  The are smoothy making, dress designing, beauticians.  


I have to say though, they still teach some sweet lessons and there isn't a whole lot of sassiness or adult-bashing.

Don't even get me started on the Disney Channel!

And at least there is a "vintage" option available. And at least she is in the Retro Toys section.  I'de much rather be vintage or better yet, retro, than re-marketed as newer and better and skinnier...

1 comment:

  1. "She wasn't exactly impressed." LOL.

    I still have most of my original Strawberry Shortcake miniatures and my Raspberry Torte doll. :D I *almost* bought a retro set of the dolls at Toys 'R Us a few years back and kind of kicking myself that I didn't. I haven't seen them since. :/

    ReplyDelete