Friday, January 6, 2017

Hurry Up And Wait



Ironic choice of coffee mug for this morning...since I can't go anywhere!


 

Out of nowhere, a blanket of snow has magically appeared in Middle Tennessee. And because of this gorgeous powder, all of Middle Tennessee has shut down!  As you can see from my front window, there isn't a whole lot. But the state of Tennessee doesn't have a whole lot of salt, salt trucks, or other snow-related supplies. Therefore, when it snows here, the Kroger alert goes off signalling normally sane people to lose their plumb-pickin' minds and drive like crazy to the nearest Kroger, or Publix, or other grocery store to stock up on milk, bread, toilet paper, and wine, as well as other necessities. 




It just so happens that today is my day to grocery shop. Today, when the news is warning us to stay home.  To stay off of the roads. To not venture out unless it is an extreme emergency.

My husband and I had a major finance meeting a few weeks ago and realized that in addition to eating out a whole lot, we hit the stores 2-3 (and sometimes more!) times per week for the items we failed to pick up during the normal grocery shopping. Which is very draining on the budget, ya know?

We made a decision to plan as much as possible for the coming week and only make one trip to the store...regardless of the fact that I forgot to pick up sour cream which I need for two recipes.

Two days ago, Wednesday, I realized I needed more sour cream, as well as some fish tank supplies for Goldie (I posted about her new fish tank earlier), and a few other miscellaneous items. My husband reminded me of our decision (darned it!) and we had the "is it a true emergency?" talk. Sour Cream is rarely an emergency and Goldie is swimming like she is practicing for the Olympics. 

I have been noting the items I forgot last week and adding them to my upcoming trip which was scheduled for today.

Today.

The day that Tennessee closed.

It's not gonna happen.

This is teaching me how to plan for my grocery shopping trips better. 

To slow down, pay attention, look at the whole picture.

We have very little toilet paper but lots of tissues, and wine, I have plenty of that. Priorities, people.

P R I O R I T I E S.

{Purse}onally Yours,



2 comments:

  1. How long will you be able to hold out to do groceries?

    You've got me thinking about my own grocery shopping habits--and how we tend to have our worst weather/snowstorms in January and I am *not* stocked up should we end up being stuck at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lucked out...it started melting the next day and the roads are in great shape!

    ReplyDelete