Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Marshmallows, Banana Peppers & Trailmix, Oh My!

Some days I feel like I can not do anything right.

You know those days, don't you?

Dinner is gross, even though you followed the recipe.

You drop the water pitcher trying to get it back into the refrigerator...not just any water pitcher, but the Brita, that costs like $100 (well, about $30 but hey, when you are feeling kicked while you are down, go ahead and blow the dollar amount up a little).

You forgot to pay the electricity bill, which, besides your mortgage, is your largest bill each month. How on earth could you forget that? And...overlook the email and voicemail messages from the electric company reminding you that you need to pay your bill. Yeah, that has never happened to me. Just kidding, it has happened!

Nothing you say works for the child or hubby, you seem to tick off everyone around you. 
(Just a little tip, it's not them, it's YOU, but that's another post for another time!)


Then, there are those days, when you are rockin' and rollin' and totally hitting Super Mom status.



Your cape is flying out behind you.  There is a halo of light surrounding you.  The Quiche Lorraine turned out beyond your expectations and you didn't use a cookbook or measuring spoons.And, your picky family actually eats it. (I am dreaming here, mine wouldn't eat cooked spinach if their life mostly depended on it, but a girl can dream, right?)

And in between those "Mom of the Year" (total sarcastic voice here) and the Super Mom days, you find yourself doing little things that might annoy you on a different day. Things that other moms would tell you are ridiculous for you to do and they would never...but you do it today because you love them. And you are in a pretty good mood.  Aaannnd, you love them.

Today has been one of those in between days.

I  found myself draining the banana peppers for my husband's salad for work because, once, a long time ago, he casually mentioned that his salad was a bit tart. And I knew why, those darned juicy peppers! It can be such a pain to drain them, and press into them with a fork in the strainer to remove every last drop because they are like sponges! And left undrained, they can wreak tart havoc on a salad that will not be eaten for another five hours.



Then, I made hot cocoa for my girl. She is not fond of marshmallows in her cocoa. She'll eat them otherwise, but not in her liquid chocolate. She will painstakingly remove each and every dehydrated pillow of fluff from the package when "Mom of the Year" did the grocery shopping and got the wrong box of cocoa mix!  Today, I thought I would remove them for her. Quietly, and thoroughly.  Super Mom showed up, cape and all!  Every slotted spoon in the house was dirty from my batch cooking of four meals in one day, so, I worked the fork y'all. And it was a great success....because of the cape, I'm sure. As a matter of fact, I don't think that even the gold lasso belt could have slayed those fake food pieces better. (Note: you can see one of the slotted spoons hanging out in the dirty dish side of my sink!)

Finally, you know when your child does something that makes zero sense, and it is something that you know you will need to deal with, and you just don't "have any time for that"? Today, she made trail mix for her daddy. Not just any trail mix...but something quite, err, umm, special. Yeah, that's it.
"Special".  She was doing very well for a while there: almonds, chocolate pieces and cashews.  But then, she went cray cray and added cinnamon graham crackers as well as Smarties. Yep. Sweet sugary crackers and tart candies. The Mom Voice entered my head, "that is a waste of money, tell her how that does not go together, Daddy can't eat that..." But I shooed the Mom Voice away.  I smiled and said that daddy would totally love it. And bless him, he did. He actually ate some. That my friends, is a real man. A Daddy with a capital D!

We all wanna be super mom, or at least wear a cape once in a while. But I quite enjoy the in between days where I perform little quiet acts of service and keep my mom voice in check.  I think my family does too!

{Purse}onally Yours,
























2 comments: